Digital images may be submitted for both the Projected Image Critique and the Themed Images Critique. The format of the evening may vary depending on who is moderating and instructions will be made available in advance. You may be asked to supply the unedited ‘digital negatives’ in addition to edited versions of your images.
Projected Image Critique: You may submit up to 3 images, ranked 1 to 3, for the Projected Image Critique evening. Images should be ranked in case there is insufficient time to review all of the images, in which case the highest ranked images will be chosen in preference.
Themed Images Critique: You may submit up to three themed groups, each of 3 – 6 images. The images should be intended to be viewed together as a collection and should reflect a common theme. In addition to the separate image files please submit a composite image indicating how the images within a themed group should be viewed collectively.
Edited digital images
This is your interpretation of the image following editing, Images must be submitted as follows:
- Image dimensions: Your image should be as large as possible up to a maximum width of 1600 pixels and a maximum height of 1200 pixels. This corresponds to a 4 : 3 aspect ratio and the resolution of the Club projector. For example, landscape images of 1600 x 1200 pixels will fill the screen, the largest square format image will be 1200 x 1200 pixels and portrait images must be no higher than 1200 pixels. Images less than 1600 pixels wide and 1200 pixels high will fill correspondingly less of the screen when projected.
- Colour space: sRGB
- JPEG files: Please save your images as JPEG files. Individual image files should not be larger than 500 KB. You can achieve this by reducing image quality. For most images the quality can be reduced to 80% without adversely impacting on the appearance of the image on a computer screen or when projected.
- Metadata: It is essential that the ‘title metadata field’ includes your ‘image title’ and ‘your name’ in the following format. The title should start with a capital letter, followed by lower case except for names e.g. York. The title should be followed by a comma, a single space, Your Name, single space, Your Ranking. For example: A favourite York street, Joe Bloggs, 2. Please do not use any other punctuation, including underscores or hyphens.
- No other Metadata: Please do not enter any other metadata in the caption or description fields. Note to Olympus users, you will have to delete ‘Olympus digital camera’ from the caption field. Other fields such as copyright are fine.
- For those not using the Lightroom Web Export Preset, please save the file as ‘Image title, Your name’. For example: A favourite York street, Joe Bloggs, 2 (as in the title metadata field). This allows us to be certain whose image it is and to be able to attribute the image correctly. Note the use of upper and lower case, exactly as for the metadata.
- Submission: Images must be sent by email or, even better, by WeTransfer to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Author/creator details: Please make sure that the covering email or We Transfer message includes your name.
Digital originals: If you are asked to provide a ‘digital original’ or ‘digital negative’, this should be the file straight from the camera without any editing or compression. This will allow the moderators also to edit it. The file title in the metadata and in the file name should be as above for the edited versions, but with the addition of ‘Original’ e.g. A favourite York street, Joe Bloggs, 2, Original.